E-marketing for Tourism
UAB Barcelona Summer School
Number of credits: 6 European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System (ECTS)
Course Fee: 850 €
Course Fee for UAB students and Alumni UAB Premium+ : 200 €
Teaching Language: English
Teaching Period: 12 July to 30 July
- 9-10h: Lecture class with professor
- 10-11h: Interactive seminar
- 11-12h: Organised tutoring sessions
Registration of international and national students (non-UAB students) before May 16 will get 20% discount.
PROFESSOR BIO INFORMATION
Dr. Anna Zinenko is a Tourism Marketing and Strategic Marketing professor, and Degree Final Projects coordinator at UAB School of Tourism and Hotel Management and Professor of Principles of Marketing and International Business for Study Abroad UAB. She defines her teaching philosophy as a holistic one, drawing constant interconnections between different subjects, teaching approaches, and cultures, and embedding sustainability and its principles in all her classes. Together with her international colleagues, Anna is organizing an online intercultural educational project, Global Case Study Challenge (http://www.globalcasestudychallenge.com/), where participants from all over the world work in global virtual teams solving case studies.
Anna is fluent in English, Spanish, Russian, Ukrainian, Italian, and has basic Persian, Danish, and Catalan languages. Her special interests outside of the professional world are healthy nutrition, yoga, and learning from world cultures.
- Department of UAB School for Tourism & Hotel Management
- E-mail: email@example.com
With the changing tendencies within the Internet and digital technology use, we need to reconsider how marketing in the tourism and service sector should be done nowadays. Digital technologies give us unlimited ways to improve effectiveness, promote services, or build a strong brand on a limited budget.
We will analyze how companies working in the tourism sector integrate digital marketing and social media while building their integrated marketing communication plan during this summer course. We will also examine how these strategies help them gain consumer trust. We will comprehend what it takes to implement a digital transformation from a strategic and a practical perspective within the company's marketing plan. Additionally, we will experiment with creating and delivering engaging content for several platforms and measuring the company's efforts' success.
The course is practical oriented. It reviews theoretical materials based on Case studies and hands-on practical exercises. By the end of this course, students will learn the main and updated aspects of digital marketing, its tools, and techniques, by following leading service companies.
Practice: Digital media differences?
Practice: Assessing social media marketing platforms
Practice: How can digital media and technology be used to vary the marketing mix?
Case: Airbnb, Etsy, Uber: Acquiring the First Customers
Case: Accor Hotels
Practice: A framework for selecting media
Practice: Creating a digital campaign budget
Case: Online Reviews on TripAdvisorCase: Museum digital transformation
Case: Event digital transformation
Case: Google Analytics
Final project implementation and presentation
The execution of multiple-choice weekly knowledge quizzes will be worth 20% of the final grade and include the material exposed in the lectures and class discussions.
The execution of practical activities and case study solutions proposed during the course and delivered within the deadline will be worth 50% of the final grade.
The realization of a final project: 30% of the final grade. A correct formal presentation and careful elaboration will be valued.
Links and references
- Chaffey, D., Ellis-Chadwick, F.: "Digital Marketing," Pearson Education, 6E, 2017.
- Gupta, S.: "Driving Digital Strategy: A Guide to Reimagining Your Business," Harvard Business Review Press, 2018.
- Gupta, S., and J. Davin: "Marketing reading: Digital Marketing," Harvard Business Publishing, 2019.
- Kotler, P., Bowen, J., Makens, J., Baloglu, S.:" Marketing for Hospitality and Tourism," Global Edition, Pearson, 7th Edition, 2017
- Sigala, M., Christou, E., & Gretzel, U. "Social media in travel, tourism and hospitality: Theory, practice, and cases.", Ashgate Publishing, Ltd., 2012.
- Teixeira, T., Brown, M.: “Airbnb, Etsy, Uber: Acquiring the First Thousand Customers.”, Harvard Business School, 2018.