Institute of Environmental Science and Technology (ICTA)
DescriptionThe mission of the Institute of Environmental Science and Technology is to promote, carry out and disseminate research, and to train researchers in furthering the comprehension of the environment and resolution of the challenges resulting from interactions with society. The goal of ICTA is to become a leading centre in environmental studies in Europe, with differential factors such as internationalisation, pluridisciplinarity and interaction with stakeholders, under a framework of sustainability based on the values of social responsibility.
The dynamics of university studies in Environmental Sciences created the demand for a centre open to students and lecturing staff and is a flexible communication tool between the university, administration, businesses and society in general. The PhD programme in Environmental Science and Technology and the Master's degree in Environmental Studies make up the current PhD programme offered at UAB in Environmental Science and Technology, which has been awarded the Mention of Excellence by the Spanish Ministry of Education.
Links to the UABThe Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, with the fundamental purpose of contributing to environmental research and with the objective of identifying potential interdisciplinary research areas, applied to the Catalan Ministry for Universities, Research and Information Society for the creation of a university research institute named the Institute of Environmental Science and Technology.
In accordance with the application and with what is established in Article 23.2 of Law 1/2003, of 19 February, on the universities of Catalonia (Article 23.2 de la Llei 1/2003, de 19 de febrer, d'universitats de Catalunya) and the Statutes of the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, with the support of the Interuniversity Council of Catalonia, and under the proposal of the General Director of Universities, the authorisation is given to create the Institute of Environmental Science and Technology, as a university research institute belonging to the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (Ordre UNI/167/2003, de 9 d’abril).
Strategic research areas
Earth and life sciences:
- Aerobiology, atmospheric transport and health
- Climate and environmental biogeochemistry
- Environmental radioactivity
- Marine ecology and management
- Ocean acidification
- Palaeo-climate and ocean dynamics
- Terrestrial ecology and biodiversity
- Social environmental sciences:
Business environmental management
- Cities and Environmental Justice
- Ecological economics and political ecology
- Ecosystem services, well-being and development
- Environmental and climate economics
- Environmental geography and water governance
- Ethnoecology and biocultural diversity
- Public understanding of science and environmental education
- Transport mobility and the environment
Technology, environment and society:
- Agricultural sustainability and waste management
- Energy and integrated environmental assessment
- Industrial ecology
- Life-cycle analysis and eco-innovation
Science and technology studies
Services of interest to the UAB CEI communityScientific and Technical Services:
Laboratory of Stable Isotope Analysis (LAIE)
Laboratory of Palinological Analysis (LAP)
Inorganic Geochemistry Service for Palaeoclimatology and Palaeoceanography (SIGPO).
Innovation and Transfer:
Aerobiological Network of Catalonia (XAC)
Project of Aerobiological Prediction for Tenerife (EOLO-PAT)
Research groups (SGR)
Euros directly received for 30 projects awarded (2014)
Articles published (2014)
PhD Theses defended (2014)