Official Master's Degree in International Relations, Security and Development
This master's degree has been awarded the new distinction as an International Master's Programme (IMP) by the Government of Catalonia.
In recent years, citizens, societies and countries have found themselves surrounded by an international reality which surpasses that of any border. Based on a disciplinary approach on international relations and on the help of similar disciplines, the master's degree in International Relations, Security and Development (MURISD) constitutes a basic tool to understand this complex reality and also to master the main analytical tools and guidelines needed to take part in it.
The MURISD programme prepares students to be capable of analysing the main actors, instruments, processes and structures of international societies, as well as gaining knowledge in different aspects of international life, in particular those related to security and development problems in specifically relevant geographic areas.
Citizens, societies and states see themselves as stakeholders in issues that transcend national borders due to:
- aspects of international affairs like security, development, the environment or new power structures resulting from the emergence of the European Union as an influential global actor, especially in areas like trade, politics, the environment, energy and security;
- the particular form of hegemony exerted by the United States;
- emerging powers like China and India;
- the role of inter-governmental organisations and multilateralism in international governance.
There is therefore a clear need for an official master's degree that equips students to analyse actors, instruments, processes and structures of international society, to learn about different aspects of international affairs, especially security and development, and how these manifest themselves in various geographical areas of particular importance.
Those interested in enrolling in this master's degree can apply for one of the grants offered by the Catalunya-La Pedrera Foundation for academic year 2017-18, for graduates enrolling in master's degrees.
The master's degree in International Relations, Security and Development offers advanced and specialised training catering to the needs of a wide variety of career options (task assessment, management and development in international organisations, in organisations of the European Union, in non-governmental organisations devoted to cooperation and development tasks, etc). This training is useful to both graduates in political sciences and those from other similar fields (law, history, journalism, economics, etc.). It also offers solid training for future professionals from unrelated fields but with interest in working in an international environment (engineering degrees, the fine arts). The MURISD programme offers undoubtable added value to the academic training of graduates from a variety of fields, in an environment in which interdisciplinarity is viewed positively.
Therefore, the MURISD offers an advanced study programme which enables students to adapt themselves to highly qualified professional fields such as the following:
- Research: Students will have acquired the skills needed to begin advanced research in international terms, carrying out activities which can contribute to new advances in scientific knowledge, conducting exhaustive and rigorous analyses on complex international phenomena and transmitting their knowledge in formats adapted to different types of audiences.
- international organisations, NGOs, public administration, policy makers: students will be able to develop and carry out tasks related to directing, management, coordination, studying, evaluating and planning in any of the public administrations, political institutions and public organisations operating at European Union and international level.
- Private sector: students will be prepared to carry out highly qualified assessment, consultancy and assistance tasks in the private sector with companies which are very active internationally.
Foreign and exchange students
Part-time or full-time: Full-time
Credits: 60 ECTS
Beginning of the pre-enrolment period 12/01/2018
See the calendar
€75 per credit (non-EU citizens who do not hold a Spanish residence permit). 2018/19 Academic year.
Contact us for more information, filling in this form: *Required fields
Once the form has been sent in you will get a confirmation e-mail
Master's degree website http://murisd.uab.es