Bachelor's Degree in Environmental Science
The UAB's aim in offering this Bachelor's Degree in Environmental Science is to train up professionals with a far-reaching, multidisciplinary vision of environmental issues. The emphasis is on understanding the scientific, technical, social, territorial, economic and legal aspects of environmental questions.
Our graduates, with an employment rate of 94.4%, go on to work in the analysis, conservation and management of the environment and natural resources, environmental quality management in business, public administration and civil society organisations, understanding the social processes that intervene in environmental quality and its relationship to health, and environmental communication and education.
The UAB is a benchmark institution in Environmental Science. It was the first Spanish university to launch a study programme in this field, in 1992. Since then public interest in Environmental Science studies has increased and both undergraduates and graduates tend to show great dedication to the conservation of the environment, extraordinary dynamism and social commitment. These characteristics are in line with the philosophy of the degree, which deals with a variety of topics related to the multiple dimensions of the environment.
The present degree maintains the principles that inspired the creation of the original one in 1992: an interdisciplinary, integrated approach, relatively high weight given to social sciences, constant contact between teaching staff members and a close relationship with Public Administration, business and civil society.
Graduates acquire knowledge of the theoretical and practical aspects of natural sciences and social sciences, and of the technologies needed to put this knowledge into practice. They develop versatility and adaptability to new challenges, a willingness to promote an environmental culture and, in general, an ability to place the environment and sustainability at the forefront of economic and social development policies.
More specifically, professionals in this sector have to deal with issues related to air, water and soil quality, environmental recovery processes, diversity, conservation, use and management of natural, geological and biotic resources, atmospheric and meteorological dynamics and patterns of variance, and the optimisation of human activities and productive processes to make these sustainable both from environmental and socio-economic standpoints (new culture of water, ecodesign, resolution of environmental conflicts, etc.).
The ideal student for this degree should have the following qualities:
- Interest in the environment: climate change, renewable energies, management of natural and urban spaces, pollution control.
- Curiosity, observational and deductive skills
- Ability to reason with logic and a rigorous analysis.
- Abstract thinking ability
- Interest in research and experimentation.
- Order, rigour and method when working in an interdisciplinary context.
- Good grounding in sciences and an interest in the social sciences.
- Good level of English.
We recommend that students should have taken science subjects at upper secondary school, especially Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry.
Environmental studies offer ever-increasing employment opportunities. Career options are:
- Management of urban and natural environments (agrotourism, biomass, rural and sustainable development; management and assessment to administration departments; study, design and implementation of environmental policies; evaluation of the environmental impact of a project; development and application of environmental laws; spatial and strategic planning; study, planning and prevention in environmental health and risk).
- Environmental technology (prevention, analysis, control and treatment of contamination; design and development of eco-efficient and eco-innovative products and services; sustainable architecture, urban planning and mobility; environmental assessment and management for companies; industrial safety and hygiene; environmental audits).
- Natural, energy and water resources (study, analysis and management of natural resources; energy efficiency and renewable energies; management and usage of residues and sub-products; management of water resources).
- Environmental communication and education (teaching; environmental awareness-raising and communication; assessment for the third-sector and non-governmental organisations; negotiation, participation and mediation in environmental conflicts).
- Environmental research related to the Institute of Environmental Science and Technology (biodiversity, biological risks, agroecology and ethnology; global climate change, marine geosciences and oceanography; industrial ecology, analysis of life cycles and eco-design; ecological economics, environmental sociology and public policies; companies and the environment, environmental accounting and corporate social responsibility; social, territorial, technological and environmental aspects in the management of water and energy; monitoring of the environment, contamination and aerobiology).
Teaching staff list
EvaluationECTS methodology incorporates the continuous assessment of all academic work done by students.
TimetablesMornings and afternoons.
Number of credits: 240 ECTS
Duration: 4 years
Period of study: Annual registration. Planning of subjects by semester.
Part-time or full-time: Full-time dedication. Part-time option available.
Contact us for more information filling in this form: *Required fields
Once the form has been sent in you will get a confirmation e-mail
Degree's website http://www.uab.cat/ciencies-ambientals