Master's Degree in Psychogeriatrics
IntroductionThe demographic reality of an ageing population is accompanied by an increase in the number of people with mental disorders. This situation means new necessities in care provision and also research and knowledge of this type of illness.
The Germanes Hospitalàries del Sagrat Cor de Jesús and the Department of Psychiatry and Legal Medicine of the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, aware of the growing need to train health professionals in care for the elderly with mental disorders have designed a Masters degree and a postgraduate diploma in Psychogeriatrics to contribute to providing a response to those needs.
This programme is designed to improve the abilities for clinical handling of psychogeriatric patients. It also aims to stimulate an interest in the research field in which there is a growing demand for competent professionals to meet the challenge of clinical complexity and care of people of advanced aged and with mental disorders.
Objectives- Promote a global and integrated view of psychogeriatrics and its implications.
- Receive theoretical and practical training in the identification, care handling and orientation of resources for a number of disorders resources appear during the ageing process.
- Achieve a better interdisciplinary understanding of the treatment of clinical problems in biological, psychological and social fields.
- Acquire a scientific foundation which enables research in the field of psychogeriatrics.
- Train professionals in psychogeriatrics with the objective of responding to growing demand for teams dedicated to the integrated care of old people.
- A university qualification of at least 180 ECTS credits or equivalent in Medicine or Psychology
Clinical care work in health centres or facilities attending psychogeriatric patients:
- Old people's homes
- Geriatric hospitals
- Healthcare centres
- Geriatric units in general hospitals
- General psychiatric units (general hospitals)
- Attached psychiatric services (general hospitals)
- Psychiatric hospitals: chronic and psychogeriatric units
- Geriatric psychiatry units (general and psychiatric hospitals generals)
- Mental health centres
- Home visit teams (PADES)
- Geriatric and Alzheimer's patients day hospitals
- Local surgeries
Manuel Sánchez Pérez
UAB-specific Master's Degree
Location: Classes Teòriques: Hospital de Sant Rafael. Passeig de la Vall d’Hebron, 107. 08035 Barcelona Classes Pràctiques: Hospital Sagrat Cor, Av. Comte de Llobregat, 117; 08760 Martorell (Barcelona) Hospita
Dates: from 27/10/2017 to 30/06/2019
Departamento de Psiquiatría y Medicina Legal
Germanes Hospitalàries Sagrat Cor, Martorell
Contact the programme manager *Required fields
You will receive a copy of your query by e-mail immediately and we will also include a PDF with all the information about the programme.