Master's Degree in Nursing Care of Children and Adolescents
IntroductionChildhood is a particularly vulnerable stage and is also crucial to acquiring habits that will affect our health as adults. Healthy family and social surroundings and proper health care favour the physical, emotional and intellectual development of children and adolescents.
Child health care has clearly improved over the last few decades thanks to, among other factors, advances in technology, more effective, better-quality treatments, activities to promote healthy living and disease prevention, and higher living standards in developed countries. All this has led to a steady fall in infant and perinatal mortality, giving rise, as seen in Spain's "National Strategic Plan for Childhood and Adolescence 2006-2009", to a rapid change in patterns of morbidity and in reasons for seeking medical attention.
The Hospital de Sant Pau University School of Nursing, through the Universitat AutÚnoma de Barcelona, offers a master's degree that equips nursing professionals to ensure that children and their families receive personalised attention that is coordinated between the different levels of healthcare provision. It adopts a humanistic approach that focuses on understanding children's and parents' own frameworks of reference regarding health issues, so as to use suitable support strategies.
Those responsible for this master's degree project see it as an opportunity to make a contribution to society in the field of paediatric nursing, through health promotion, disease prevention, and early detection, diagnosis and treatment of health problems, thus giving children a good start in life, with better health prospects.
ObjectivesThis master's degree equips its students to do the following.
- Define, describe and analyse the specific responsibilities of the nurse in the field of pediatrics in order to act efficiently and effectively in the organisation and leadership of the different nursing teams.
- Make a comprehensive assessment of the newborn, the child or the adolescent and draw up personalised nursing treatment plans based on the needs and health problems presented by the newborn, the child or the adolescent and those of their families.
- Display judgement and skill in applying conventional and complementary therapies to the newborn, the child or the adolescent, using evidence-based criteria of quality and safety.
Associate's degree in nursing.
- Joining teams working in the paediatrics service: hospital units, day hospitals, outpatient clinics, etc.
- Leading nursing care, playing a key role in the care of children and adolescents (primary, secondary and tertiary care).
- Managing the continuation of care throughout the course of health problems.
- Managing and leading educational programmes spanning the whole area of paediatrics.
UAB-specific Master's Degree
Location: E.U. d'Infermeria de l'Hospital de Santa Creu i Sant Pau (Barcelona)
Dates: from 18/09/2017 to 18/06/2018
Catalan (50%), Spanish (50%)
Escuela Universitaria de EnfermerŪa del Hospital de la Santa Cruz y de San Pablo
Contact the programme manager *Required fields
You will receive a copy of your query by e-mail immediately and we will also include a PDF with all the information about the programme.