Master's Degree in Food Safety and Quality Management
IntroductionFood safety is one of the most interesting and complex areas for those interested in studying food, its characteristics, i.e., features, safety and nutritional value.
When speaking of food safety, it's possible to believe that we are only referring to the chance of a toxin or pathogen getting into our food and causing an infectious or toxic process. However, it is a much wider term, considering that there are outbreaks or cases that can be traced to situations in food preparation or structure.
It is also necessary to make people aware of current issues such as food quality, safety and traceability of products through the legal analysis of the most relevant aspects occuring in processes and products.
There is also the need to have basic notions of food safety and from different perspectives: legal (latest legal advances), scientific (food analysis methods), sociological (social reaction to food crises) and administrative (state control of food safety), and integrate all perspectives into a systemic and multinational structure of guarantee and control.
For these reasons, the problems of food safety must be approached from a broad perspective, with the intention of studying each episode within its present context, and trying to classify its future perspective and providing solutions in all possible cases. A new addition to the programme is subjects related to rules and regulations on safety and responsibility in food production, with emphasis on legal responsibilities; offering a practical and preventive guidance on the material, increasingly important in decision-making processes.
Objectives- Provide students with strategies and abilities needed to carry out research in food safety in both public and private centres.
- Expose students to the latest advances in theoretical knowledge and their possible applications to the improvement of product quality.
- Teach the foundations of food company management, including both technical topics and business and market management topics.
- Provide and validate the elements needed to achieve high quality through the management of the production process, responding quickly to market demands.
- Apply Spanish and European agrofood regulations.
- Train students to use their knowledge of the functions of the European Food Safety Authority and the Spanish food safety agencies in their work.
- Introduce students to the procedures for certifying food safety and quality.
- Treat food safety as part of the constitutional right to health.
University degree with skills and experience in the field of food hygiene.
- Technical manager of agrofood companies.
- Managers of the Council Regulation of products with Designation of Origin and other seals of quality.
- Auditors of food safety systems.
- Certifiers for food safety systems.
- Consultants in food quality and safety systems.
- Head of food distribution chains.
- Consultant to implementations of food safety policies in the industry.
- Directors and technicians of laboratory specialising in standards ISO/IEC 1702.
Josep Manel López Rodríguez
UAB-specific Master's Degree
Location: Escola de Prevenció i Seguretat Integral. Edifi blanc, Campus UAB. 08193 Bellaterra (Barcelona)
Dates: from 02/11/2018 to 23/05/2020
Catalan (50%), Spanish (50%)
Escuela de Prevención y Seguridad Integral
Contact the programme manager *Required fields
You will receive a copy of your query by e-mail immediately and we will also include a PDF with all the information about the programme.