Graduate Diploma in Inter-university Graduate Diploma on Immigration: Rights and Social Cohesion
IntroductionThe purpose of this programme is to offer a solid scientific, theoretical and applied training aimed at professionals and people responsible for migration management, as well as researchers interested in the social sciences from a socio-demographic, economic, political and ethnographic approach to migration, structured in four areas of specialization arranged in modules (job market, education, health and media), and ending in a module of research projects and social intervention.
The following areas will be developed:
- Study of the spectrum of socio-cultural situations, integration dynamics and acculturalization to which different groups of immigrants are subjected.
- Analysis of problems and specific common social responses derived from the areas mentioned above (job market, education, health and media).
- Review and understanding of particular aspects of migration projects and integration expectations according to gender and generation.
- Evaluation of social and political actions towards immigration from an inter-cultural and socially inclusive approach.
This programme will offer a theoretical update to open new channels leading to deeper research, as well as technical training supported by experience and a global and holistic overview to base and apply strategies of social intervention.
Objectives- Study contemporary migrations in the age of globalisation and understand the different theoretical approaches to migration as a social process from a multidisciplinary
- Understand different models of multicultural society, both in terms of migration and integration policies and the management of diversity.
- Offer a general approach to the phenomenon of immigration, integration and diversity in the European Union and the member states with a special emphasis on Spain.
- Offer students the necessary knowledge about the different institutions in the host society (context of reception).
- Offer students an approach to the most important characteristics of the different immigrant groups which are most represented in Catalan society, taking into account gender and age or generation and transnational perspective.
- Understand the bases and principles of public policies involving integration of the immigrant population from the dimension of equality, redistribution and management of diversity. To do so sector policies (employment, education, health, housing) will be studied as integrated policies in the local area with a special emphasis on the challenges of local public management.
- Understand the contextual factors that determine the economic position and employment mobility of the immigrant population.
- Analyse the consequences which the part of the labour market occupied by immigrants have on their access to resources, position in the social structure and the definitions of strategies, migration projects, setting up of networks and types of interaction both within the destination society and on a transnational level.
Understand the relationships between immigration, education and social integration from a study of the different educational models.
- Know about the debates and agreements concerning the representation of immigration in the local and international media.
- In the legal ambit professionalise a double dimensionwhich includes the assessment and orientation of specific case studies as well as decision-making and position in organisations and government working on immigration.
- Offer students the knowledge, skills and competences needed for individual assessment on topics of foreign residence and include the legal dimension of immigration in their professional activity.
- Offer students basic knowledge for the assessment and solution of possible conflicts of shared living in a multicultural context, as well as arguments and tools offered by legal planning and processes for fighting against racist and xenophobic discourse.
- Allow students access to good practices in the management of diversity in the public sector and in raising public awareness.
- The initial requirement is a Bachelor's degree, or pre-EHEA university diploma, preferably in social sciences, law or humanities.
- Admission is determined by a committee made up of three lecturers on the master's degree, basing their decisions on the profiles of the applicants.
Immigration analysts, inter-cultural mediators, institutional, public and private administration advising, socio-cultural integration programme participation, development and support for politicians, union leaders, educators, health workers, communicators and other social agents involved in activities related to migration and field work.
Alisa Georgeta Petroff
UAB Graduate Diploma
Location: Facultat CiŤncies de l'Educaciů. Campus UAB, Bellaterra (Barcelona) i Facultat de Dret.UB Diagonal, 684, 08034 Barcelona.
Dates: from 01/10/2018 to 30/09/2019
Spanish (80%), Catalan (20%)
Universitat AutÚnoma de Barcelona
Universitat de Barcelona
Departamento de SociologŪa
Centre d'Estudis i Recerca en Migracions
Departamento de Pedagogia Sistematica y Social
Departamento de AntropologŪa Social y Cultural
Contact the programme manager *Required fields
You will receive a copy of your query by e-mail immediately and we will also include a PDF with all the information about the programme.