Graduate Diploma in Contemporary Applied Arts
IntroductionThere is a need to redefine the role of the applied arts in the modern world: asking again whether "doing is thinking". And, by doing, re-examining the role of creativity against the whole background of art, design and the wisdom of craftsmanship. Sustainability, shared creativity, innovation and tradition, empowerment, function and use, poetry of materials, social responsibility.
This course addresses the above concepts by placing the workshop at the forefront of personal, creative work. It provides an extremely wide-ranging revision of the contemporary function of the applied arts (art and design). The focus is currently on textile art, jewellery and the "fire arts" (glass and ceramics), always invoking the dialectic between tradition and innovation while encouraging hybridisation between the different areas.
Objectives- Understand how the applied arts can transform our relationship with our surroundings and a new anthropology of know-how and thought: is making the same as thinking? (R. Sennett).
- Rewrite the relationship between the object and the subject, paying attention to both poetic and functional capacities in order to overcome the dichotomy between signification and need.
- Relate traditional materials and techniques to new materials and the methodology implicit in digital technologies.
- Foster the centrality and the reach of the applied arts as a bridge and shared territory between art and design, joining the debate between craftsmanship and design, between art and craftsmanship.
- Bachelor's degree of 180 ECTS minimum, or equivalent.
- Access to this course will also be considered for candidates who do not have the above qualifications, for example, if they have sufficient proven professional experience in the sector. On passing the course, these students will receive a certificate of attendance only.
- Personal projects in the field of contemporary arts and crafts, based on knowledge of the different ways in which the various art and design sectors behave.
- Joining teams of art and design professionals working in architecture, product design, visual arts, fashion, and art direction for the audiovisual and theatre sector.
UAB Graduate Diploma
Location: Escola Massana, Centre d'Art i Disseny. C/ Hospital, 56. 08001 Barcelona
Dates: from 21/09/2017 to 15/06/2018
Spanish (60%), Catalan (40%)
Escuela Massana, Centro Municipal de Arte y Disse˝o
Contact the programme manager *Required fields
You will receive a copy of your query by e-mail immediately and we will also include a PDF with all the information about the programme.