Bachelor's degree in Art History
The Bachelor's Degree in History of Art trains up experts in analysis and management of art heritage, a vital part of such important sectors as the cultural industry and tourism. Art History deals with the study and interpretation of art through time. Currently, this field is characterised by the rapid development of contemporary art, the continuous expansion of the cultural industry, and the use of new technological resources.
This degree explores both the universal history of artistic expression and that of the specific areas of Spanish and Catalan art: critics, exhibitors, curators, teachers, heritage managers, researchers, specialised journalists or tourism professionals, among other profiles.
The bachelor's degree deals with all artistic manifestations existing in the world, from European to Pre-Colombian, Mesopotamian, Egyptian and East Byzantine art. In this sense, it focuses less exclusively on Europe than other universities.
Optional subjects cover a wide range of subjects: from the Ancient world to more modern manifestations, including the Middle Ages and the Modern Era. The subjects are complemented with an important number of offers in image and audiovisual communication.
In addition, you can take a specialisation in Art Heritage Management. This specialisation, which includes a work placement in cultural institutions, museums, etc., was designed particularly as a specific employment option for those interested in continuing on to the related master's degree.
The learning environment is dynamic and stimulating thanks to lecturers who are closely linked to the country's professional and institutional fabric, and outstanding resources like the UAB's Humanities Library or the SIBHIL·LA document collection (the most important in Catalonia in the humanities field).
The profile of a student taking this course is that of a person who has:
- interest in artistic manifestations,
- interest in history and the evolution of culture.
- interest in reading,
- knowledge or at least one or two foreign languages (English and/or French preferably).
Career options are open in various fields:
- teaching in secondary and higher education
- teaching in art and design schools
- research and teaching at university level
- exhibition curating
- art criticism
- auctioneers, art galleries, valuation of art works
- cataloguing, conservation and management of the art heritage in the public and/or private sector (museums, archives, libraries, etc.)
- dissemination of the art heritage (cultural tourism, programming for museums, cultural centres, etc.)
- specialised work in publishing and the media (documentation, production and dissemination of art history content).
Coordinator and coordination teamMontserrat Claveria Nadal
Tel. 93 581 16 05
Continued assessment of all academic work done by students. Most subjects include exams and class projects.
TimetablesMornings and afternoons
Number of credits: 240 ECTS
Duration: 4 years
Period of study: Course semesters
Part-time or full-time: Full-time dedication. Part-time option available.
Contact us for more information filling in this form: *Required fields
Once the form has been sent in you will get a confirmation e-mail