Bachelor's Degree in Art and Design
The Bachelor's Degree in Art and Design at the UAB includes three disciplines under one title: Applied Arts, Visual Arts and Design. The degree is offered at the Escola Massana, Barcelona’s municipal Art and Design centre, a school with over 80 years of experience training students in the plastic arts and in design. Many first-class artists and professionals have attended this prestigious centre.
The relation between the areas of artistic creation and design is solidly implemented in several professional sectors. The development of technologies and the rising importance of innovation in the whole production system have contributed to consolidate this harmony. In fact, the Bachelor's Degree in Art and Design meets the needs of versatile and adaptable professionals who can take part in all types of creative processes.
In this degree, students learn to view creation as a process related to production and, at the same time, supported by a broad base of knowledge: learning to create, communicate and understand complex realities in a holistic manner. The learning methodologies used help students integrate the knowledge acquired as a whole. The teaching methods also provide students with research skills with the aim of helping future professionals anticipate new possible scenarios in the fields of arts and design. Upon completing the degree, graduates with have acquired critical thinking, communication and creative skills needed to propose innovative and competitive proposals.
Students will learn about both the history of art and design and contemporary trends. They will work on different plastic and audiovisual disciplines, as well as creativity. In addition, the wide array of training offered in this degree helps students become familiar with new technologies and professional fields such as cultural management and art critics. Depending on the interest of students, the degree offers five specialisations: applied arts, arts, spatial design and object design, visual communication and visual narrative.
The Escola Massana encourages contacts with the industrial and institutional sectors, as well as the international projection of its activities and students.
The ideal student for this degree should have the following qualities:
- Social and artistic sensitivity
- A sense of aesthetics
- Creativity and imagination
- Capacity for innovation
- Capacity for representation
- Manual dexterity
- Technical dexterity
Career options- Product design, communication, interiorism, exhibition design and branding studios.
- Architecture firms, design and innovation consultancies, research and development centres, academic journals and specialised publishing houses.
- Typographic design, identity and corporate image design, editorial design, information design.
- Illustration (books, press, advertising), illustrations of comic books and novels, interactive animation (video games, applications, interactive books, etc.).
Teaching staff list
EvaluationA combination of exams and assignments
Number of credits: 240
Duration: 4 years
- Five collaboration grants in different management areas of the centre (cultural, teaching, workshops, education fairs, photography).
- A study grant as Special Award for the degree's Final Project.
- Three grants for attending the Xavier Nogués Experimental Impression Seminar.
- Three grants for attending the Packaging Seminar.
Period of study: Six-monthly
Part-time or full-time: Full-time, part-time, and slow track available.
Contact us for more information filling in this form: *Required fields
Once the form has been sent in you will get a confirmation e-mail