Institute of Governance and Public Policies (IGOP)
DescriptionThe IGOP aims to be an area for debate and the generation and exchange of knowledge conducted under standards of rigour and excellence. At the same time, it aims to be an area for training, learning and participation in social transformation policies, working closely with the social agents specialising in these themes. With this purpose in mind, the Barcelona City Council created the School of Social and Urban Politics, where graduate courses and other training activities are offered. The IGOP has worked on several basic and applied research projects, in areas such as democratic innovation; educational, social and urban policies; and public management.
Links to the UABThe Institute of Governance and Public Policies (IGOP) is a UAB institute created in the year 2001 and formed by researchers from the fields of political sciences and sociology, as well as geography, economics, law and environmental sciences.Since the 2008/09 academic year, IGOP offers its own PhD programme: Public Policy and Social Transformation.
Strategic research areasThe centre's strategic areas focus on research and training, given that the IGOP's main objective is to be a centre for the generation and exchange of knowledge, following strict scientific standards of rigour and excellence.
Its organisation is based on two types of projects: Basic Research and Applied Research. In both cases, it focuses its research activities on the processes of governing, on the formulation of policies and on the participation of citizens. More specifically, it monitors a large range of interests at different governing levels (the European Union, national, regional and local levels), areas of action (social, environmental, education, participation, security, etc.) and the participation of political and social actors in these processes.
Following is a detailed list of the research projects IGOP especially focuses on:
- New policies or new ways of facing established policies.
- Innovations in tackling, designing, managing and evaluating public policies.
- Political matters working towards a joint approach in the formulation of policies, such as the perspective of gender, participation of citizens, social inclusion and environmental sustainability.
- Interaction and mutual adaption between institutions and policies.
- Situation, perspectives and agency of social groups with a high risk of suffering under discrimination and exclusion.
- The implication of social agents and not-for-profit sectors in the process of public policy making.
Training activities are conducted at both the UAB campus and the School of Social and Urban Politics (EPSU). It is worth highlighting that the School has its own PhD programme (since 2009) and other graduate programmes (since 2005/06). More specifically:
- Public Policy and Social Transformation
- Master in Social Policy and Community Mediation (begun in 2005 as an interuniversity programme with the University of Barcelona since 2008 and with the University of Lleida since 2012).
- Graduate Certificate in Co-operative Economics.
- Official master's degree in Public Administration.
Services of interest to the UAB CEI communityPublications
Courses (School of Social and Urban Politics)
Third cycle education
Euros in budget (2011)
Research projects (2012)