Health insurance for international students

 Image of a stethoscope on a laptop

According to the Spanish regulations, international students must provide evidence of an insurance and health cover policy which is valid for the duration of their stay in Spain.  

Students from outside the European Economic Area (EEA)
If you are from any country outside the EEA, you will need to purchase a private health insurance when applying for your visa. The health insurance must meet all the above requirements: 
•    Comprehensive health plan with a minimum coverage of €100,000 in the basic services, without coverage gaps or co-payments. 
•    Medical repatriation services
•    COVID-19 coverage

Students from the Economic European Area (EEA)
If you are a citizen of the EEA, you should apply for the European Health Insurance Card, which gives you the right to receive the same benefits as the residents of the country you are temporarily living in. It only covers primary care and emergency medical assistance, and does not substitute a full health insurance plan, so you will need a travel insurance which covers repatriation. This option is only recommended for short trips. In case of long periods, a private health insurance which fulfils the requirements mentioned above is required.