Barberā City Council
Interesting placesRomanesque church
Church built in the 12th century. The church, known as La Romànica, is made up of an architectural set with three apses decorated with Lombard arcadings and a three-story square bell tower. The floor of the church has the form of a Latin cross, La Romànica is famous for its mural paintings representing Christ Pantocrator and scenes of the Old and New Testament and are one of the most important original set of murals which can be visited in Catalonia.
Documented back to the year 1055, the original building might date back as far as Roman times. Known commonly as Castell del Moros, the building is known to have existed in the 10th century and to have been a defence building of the Spanish March. Now similar to a farming house thanks to a reconstruction carried out in the 17th and 18th centuries, and significant changes made in the 19th century, now only one of the walls and the moat stand in memory of the building's warring past, which belonged to the Montcada family and then to the Pinós family. It also preserves the base of its round tower. The chapel, from the 13th century, is dedicated to Saint Columba. After years of abandonment, the building was restored in 1988.
Parc Fluvial of the Ripoll river
The river is an exceptional witness to the history and process of humanisation of the region as can be seen through the archaeological heritage of its pre-industrial, industrial, agricultural, religious and civil buildings. The area forms part of a complex ecosystem where water, plants and animals form part of the natural and biological resources found. The river Ripoll has recently been transformed into a leisure area for the inhabitants of Barberà.
Tower of Ca n'Altimira
Important medieval vestige (11th and 12th century) with a pentagon tower and square base measuring 5.30 m wide and 7 m tall, located on the left bank of the river. The defence tower was situated in a strategic enclave to control activity along the river. It was not discovered until the 1970s, when the original building of Ca n'Altimira, located on the same site, was demolished.
Tower of En Gorgs
Cited as a tax exempt building in 985, it is yet another of the city's important medieval vestiges. The building conserves many medieval remains and parchments found name the building as Mas Mir (995) and Mas d'Ermemir (1014).
Masia de Can Simeó
Farmhouse built in 1918 as a summer residence. In 1970, when the land under the house was being removed, workers made a surprising palaeontological discovery: the land contained the remains of sweet water turtles dating back 12 million years. One of the shells was restored and measure 60 cm long, 40 cm wide and 25 cm thick, the second largest found in Spin. The shell can be seen at the Museum of Palaeontology Miquel Crusafont.
Masia de Can Xerracat
Small and well preserved farmhouse formerly known as Can Minguet. In the immediate vicinities Foneria Colomer exhibits their work, which includes cast iron lampposts and fountains.
Masia de la Sagrera
Locatednext to the Molí Vermell, its chimney is one of its characteristic elements, imitating the form of a castle and with arcades added in the 1960s. The earliest documents found mention the building as being named Mas Ses Hilles in the year 1583.
One of the mills dedicated mainly to the manufacturing of paper (with typical window bars prepared for the drying of paper). It was the largest paper mill in Barberà del Vallès which also worked with cotton and wool.
Molí d'en Planes
Built in the 16th century, it is the only mill in Barberà del Vallès to have worked solely with flour.
Molí d'en Santo
Dating back to the 11th century, there are mentions of the mill together with Molí d’en Dou, which were known as the Canyadell mills. It was possibly the first paper mill to exist in Barberà del Vallès, and supplied paper to the royal printers of Archduke Charles. It later became a flour mill, then was turned into a gunpowder factory and finally a grey carton paper factory. It was also used as a complementary textile factory. It closed down in 1927 and is currently a horse farm.
Extension in km2