- UAB-specific Master's Degree
- Code: 3339/7
- 7th edition
- Modality: Onsite
- Credits: 60 ECTS
- Start date: 06/10/2020
- Finish date: 31/05/2021
- Places: 30
- Orientation: Academic, Research, Professional
- Price: 3960 ¤
Special price 3564 ¤
Group of application: ALUMNI UAB Premium
- Teaching language: Spanish (75%), Catalan (25%)
- Location: Pati Maning, Carrer Montalegre, 7, Barcelona. 08001.
This master's degree was first offered in the 2015/2016 academic year, as the necessary dissemination required to guarantee its successful application was not possible within the 2014/2015 academic year.
The master's degree in Gender and Communication filled an existing gap in academic training within this area, as there was no other master's degree or postgraduate diploma specifically dedicated to this area of study.
Justification for creating the Gender and Communication master's degree was very clear:
- Chapter 2 of Spanish Organic Law 3/2007 (of 22 March 2007), on effective equality between women and men, promotes the need to offer specific subjects on this issue in higher education. Specifically, its Article 25 states that public administrations must ensure inclusion in the curricula deriving from educational content in the field of equality between men and women, the creation of specific postgraduate studies and the carrying out of specialised studies and research on the subject. In the same chapter, the law determines that the principle of equality must be present in the information society in its design and execution as well as its contents.
- Title 3 of the same law, referring to equality and the media, specifies the need to work from within both public and private media, for the transmission of an egalitarian, plural and non-stereotypical image of women and men and that, at the same time, the knowledge and principle of equality between women and men must be promoted.
- Taking this background information into account, in addition to the fact that no specific master's degree in Gender and Communication existed in any Catalan university, either public or private (indeed, it still does not), it was clearly appropriate to submit a proposal that would fill such a void. There is an Interuniversity Master's Degree in Women, Gender and Citizenship Studies (organized by several Catalan universities, amongst them the UAB) and a master's degree in Studies into Sexual Difference at the DUODA centre (UB), but neither of these focuses on the communicative ambit, examining instead historical and sociological fields.
- Regarding Gender and Communication training, there is a single optional subject in the fourth year of the Journalism degree at the UAB. (There is no training in Gender and Communication either in Publicity and Public Relations or in Audiovisual Communication.) Nor indeed is there any training on this subject provided by other Spanish universities. Nor indeed is there any training on this subject provided by other Spanish universities.
- It is therefore both comprehensible and reasonable to propose the creation of a master's degree of such characteristics, similar to studies in other European universities, such as that offered by Goldsmiths, University of London, entitled Gender, Media and Culture. This is the model that has inspired the current proposal. Liverpool University offers a master's degree in Politics and the Media, with a strong component on gender studies.
Career opportunities- Professional journalism or advertising with specialised training in gender and communication.
- Carrying out studies or research for institutions and entities into communication in the contemporary world.
- Create advertising campaigns from a gender perspective for entities or institutions related to communication.
- Advise companies and institutions related to the world of communication in implementing equality plans, in accordance with the Spanish law of 2007.
- Develop the role of spectator/reader defendor in written or audiovisual media.
- Develop professional projects within the field of communication from a gender perspective: magazines and journals, television or radio programmes, editorial proposals, etc.
- Develop professional projects or media content from a gender perspective: digital platforms, websites, etc.
For the moment, the work placements for this edition will be voluntary and non-curricular. The aim, however, is for these to be consolidated in future editions, becoming optional or compulsory, subject to the number of places available and future agreements with possible host organisations.
Scholarships and financial aid
Chek all the information in the page for UAB financial aids, grants and calls.
Departamento de Medios, Comunicación y Cultura
ENG/Diputació de Barcelona
Isabel Muntané Rodríguez