Graduate Diploma in Forensic Psychological Assessment for Criminal Court
IntroductionThis course belongs to the area of legal and forensic studies and goes towards meeting the growing demand for specialist professionals in the field of psychological assessment, both in the public sector (at local, regional and/or national levels) and in private centres, and the need to adapt the training that these professionals receive to the functions they will have to fulfill.
The course leads to a graduate diploma that is governed academically by this university, and its holders must go on into legal practice. Therefore, the programme includes both university-level academic training given by university lecturers and a connection to the professional world through the training provided by professional law practitioners.
This graduate diploma course forms part of the master's degree in Court Psychology and Forensic Psychological Assessment, which consists of two graduate diplomas to be taken separately. Having passed both graduate diploma courses, students can register their master's dissertation and obtain the master's degree.
ObjectivesThe principal aim of this graduate diploma is to build up knowledge and competences within the specialist area of criminal-law forensics: training up professionals who are ethical, responsible, and familiar with the different regulations governing their work, whether this involves drafting and using forensic psychological reports, employing different assessment techniques, or acquiring supporting documents for use in forensic psychological assessment or consultation. In addition, these students should be able to conduct or collaborate in research in this area. Thus, the specific objectives are as follows.
- Build up the knowledge essential to the practice of psychological assessment in the whole area of criminal law.
- Build up knowledge of the law regulating the different areas of professional practice.
- Acquire skills in drafting and presenting forensic psychological reports.
- Be able to conduct or collaborate in research in this area.
- Be able to use the different assessment techniques typical of this area.
- Be able to exploit documentary sources as theoretical or practical material to support forensic assessment or psychological advisory services in judicial contexts.
- Be ethical, responsible, and familiar with the different regulations governing this work.
- Specialise in a particular area of legal and forensic studies.
The programme is therefore aimed at graduates and professionals with a Bachelor's Degree in Psychology or a similar subject area.
- Psychological assessment: writing assessment reports in civil, ecclesiastic, family and employment-related proceedings, at the request of lawyers or judges.
- Advisory services for professionals (mainly lawyers) or non-professionals in criminal proceedings.
- Working with the security forces on criminal investigation
- Mediating in criminal proceedings.
- Taking part in research into issues related to legal practice.
Elena Garrido Gaitan
UAB Graduate Diploma10% discount Alumni Premium
Location: Facultat de Psicologia, Campus UAB, Bellaterra (Barcelona)
Dates: from 14/10/2019 to 16/09/2020
Departamento de Psicología Básica, Evolutiva y de la Educación
Contact the programme manager *Required fields
You will receive a copy of your query by e-mail immediately and we will also include a PDF with all the information about the programme.