Foundation Year

One or two semesters in Barcelona for students who have completed high school or secondary education

Place: Casa Convalescència (Barcelona) or UAB Campus (Bellaterra)
Period: 6 or 9 months.
Mode: Face to face classes with online support
Further information:
+34 93 433 50 29




  • Provides language training in Spanish to achieve the B2 level required to access Bachelor's Degrees and other university level studies.
  • Introduces students to general university topics and subjects.
  • Helps in transitioning into Spanish academics providing access, diploma homologation and registration advising.
  • Upon successful completion of this programme, students become qualified to apply to Bachelor's Degrees and Advanced vocational training programmes at the FUAB, the UAB and any other Spanish universities.
  • After completing the programme, students receive certification with specific information on number of hours, contents and subjects. They also receive a certificate accreditation of the Spanish Language level they have achieved.


The Foundation Year programme at the Fundació UAB aims to prepare international students who wish to study higher education at the UAB and the FUAB (Vocational Training, Bachelor’s and Master’s Degrees), or at other Spanish universities. 

The Foundation Year allows students to achieve a B2 level in Spanish and ensure they have the language and academic skills to successfully pursue higher education in the Spanish university system.

For students with no knowledge of Spanish:

Starting in September 2023.

  • 20 hours/week of Spanish for 9 months
  • 10 sessions of seminars given by university lecturers in Spanish
  • 5 days of leisure activities and cultural visits
  • 3 information and guidance sessions about future study possibilities at UAB, with guided tours around the UAB Campus and the UAB Foundation facilities

For students with a minimum level of A2 in Spanish:

Starting in January 2024

  • 20 hours/week of Spanish for 6 months
  • 10 sessions of seminars given by university lecturers in Spanish
  • 1 day of leisure activities and cultural visits
  • 2 information and guidance sessions about future study possibilities at UAB, with guided tours around the UAB Campus and the UAB Foundation facilities

All students will also take a compulsory subject called "Academic Skills" (45 teaching hours) in June. The subject will provide credits that can be validated at the FUAB Training School, specifically in the following degrees:

Students who complete the Foundation Year programme can apply for admission to FUAB and UAB degree programmes and to other universities as well, as long as they go through university pre-enrollment and the official recognition or homologation of the degree certificate process used to gain access to the Foundation Year programme.

Likewise, upon successful completion of the programme, students will receive the following certificates:

  • Certificate from the Fundació Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona detailing the teaching hours, content, subjects, activities, and seminars.
  • Certificate to accredit your level in Spanish (SIELE).

Admission requirements:

  • You must be 18 years of age or older on 31/12/2023.
  • You must have completed your last year of secondary education (baccalaureate or equivalent [EQF4]) or to provide a Bachelor's Degree diploma if you wish to study for a Master's Degree.
  • You must have health insurance that provides coverage in Europe.

Foundation Year Program 2023-2024

The Spanish language courses will be held between September 2023 and May 2024 and the Academic Skills subject in June 2024.


  • Urban planning & Smart Cities
  • History of Catalonia
  • An introduction to Finance
  • Robotics
  • Nanoscience and Nanotechnology
  • Culture, Society and Health
  • Critical Thinking
  • Spanish Contemporany Art
  • Intercultural Communication
  • How the Brain Works

Compulsory subject:

*Seminars may vary according to teacher availability.

The total cost of the programme is €8,500 (if the student completes the entire 9-month programme). If the student already has a basic level of Spanish (minimum A2), he/she can join the programme in January 2024, the cost in this case will be €6,200.

The list of prices and the start dates for the Spanish classes are provided in the table below:

Course name Start End Hours per week Price
9 Months course 26/09/2023 28/06/2024 20 hours/week of Spanish (September- December) + 12 hours/week of the Academic Skills subject (June) 8.500€
6 Months course 08/01/2024 28/06/2024 20 hours/week of Spanish (September- December) + 12 hours/week of the Academic Skills subject (June) 6.200€

Documents required for enrolment:

Students must send the following documents in PDF format to this address:

  • An official copy of your secondary school leaving certificate (or degree certificate if you wish to study for a master's degree) certifying that you have completed your secondary education (with an official sworn translation, if necessary).
  • A scanned copy of a valid passport.
  • A passport-sized photograph.
  • A copy of the travel insurance with medical coverage that students must send before the start of the programme.

Further information on enrolment

Enrolment process:

Applicants must fill in the online pre-enrolment form and send the required programme documentation by email to

  • Once the pre-enrolment form has been sent with the required documentation, the student will receive an acceptance to the programme letter and will have to pay the full amount of the tuition fee.
  • Instructions will be sent to students who have already studied Spanish and wish to start the course in January 2024.
  • Students must pay the full course fee, at the latest, one month before the start of the course.
  • Once payment has been made, a letter of confirmation of enrolment and a visa letter will be sent, if the student has requested one when applying. 
  • Students must send a copy of their travel insurance with medical coverage before the start of the programme. If they fail to do so, they will not be able to start the course.

Minimum number of students: 11 / Maximum number of students: 16

Please note that places are limited and that, on some occasions, the programme may not be able to guarantee places on the courses chosen by the student.

Any foreign student coming to a Catalan university must have medical insurance cover.

If you are from outside of the European Economic Area, you should check whether there is an agreement for healthcare between the Social Security of your country and the Social Security of Spain. If there is such an agreement, you should submit the necessary documents in your country so that you can have free access to Spanish public healthcare.

In the case of renewing your Residence Card (NIE, TIE) you have to check if the above mentioned document replaces the obligation to present a private medical insurance regarding illness and accidents (Social Security does not include the repatriation to your home country). For more information, contact the ISS.

If your country has no healthcare agreement with the Spanish Social Security system, you should take out private insurance cover for the whole time of your stay in Spain.

The private medical insurances need to ensure no less than 100.000 euros in the basic services (hospitalization, cover for repatriation to home country, cover for COVID-19, etc.), without gaps of coverage or co-payments.

Students enrolling courses for less than 90 days, if by nationality visa is not needed, they will be able to travel without it and only the documentation providing enrolment in their courses will be required. If by nationality visa is needed, they must apply for a C-type visa (Schengen) to be able to come to Spain and as well the documentation providing enrolment in their courses will be required.  

Students who study in Member States or Associated Schengen States and who have the correspondent permit or visa and health insurance, if they are going to the country where they are studying, and that entry takes place during the academic year or the 15 days prior the beginning.  

Likewise, in all the cases, the countries in which PCRs are required, as established by the Spanish Ministry of Health, must also be considered.  

If you are a Non-European Union citizen and you are preparing to study in Spain, you need to arrange your legal situation, depending on the duration of your stay.

Mobility within EU countries: All of those non-UE citizens who hold a valid EU residence permit can enter Spain without applying for a new VISA as long as their EU residence permit is still valid. Check the steps for this procedure here.

Period of studies up to three months:

  1. The European Directive EC Nº 539/2001 March 15th, 2001 includes in its annex II the countries whose nationals are exempted from the obligation to obtain a visa for study periods of up to three months. Those have to fulfill the legal requisites described in article 5 of the Schengen Code, and in case of having to prolong the stay, it is possible to request an extension for a maximum of three more months (for more information consult Form 02 from the government).
  2. The European Directive EC Nº 539/2001 of March 15th, 2001 includes in its annex I the countries whose nationals are submitted to the visa obligation (type C) to enter the Schengen Area. For more information, consult here.

Period of studies up to six months:

There is a visa (type D) for studies that allows you to stay in Spain for a period of up to 180 days (Visado D Estudios hasta 180 días). This type of visa does not allow you to obtain the Residence Card for foreign students (TIE).

Period of studies longer than six months:

Those non-EU citizens who are going to study in Spain for a period of more than six months have to apply for an open visa for studies (type D). This type of visa (Visado D Estudios, Investigación) is valid for three months for entering the Schengen Area and once you have entered Spain you have to obtain the Student Residence Card for Foreigners (TIE) in order to remain legally in Spain. For more information, consult here.

The TIE is a temporary permit that permits you to stay in the country for the period of your studies. The card is valid for a maximum of one academic year and can be renewed annually until you finish your studies. Your academic performance will be taken into account when renewing your permit. The document gives you the right to remain legally in the country while you study.

You will have a maximum of 30 days after entering the European Union to begin the process of applying for the Student Residence Card (TIE). For this, you will need to present your flight ticket (boarding ticket) or the stamp on your passport showing the date in which you entered the European Union.

You can apply for a visa through your nearest Spanish Embassy or Consulate.

Important: A visa can never be changed once you are in Spain. The only visa valid is the one obtained from the Spanish Embassy or Consulate before coming to Spain.

Important: All foreign official documents must be previously legalized and, if necessary, must be translated into Spanish or official language of the territory where the application is submitted.

For more information, see the Official Information Form nº 9 of the ministry (in Spanish).

Lost or stolen visa:

To report your visa lost or stolen, fax the police report (preferably in Spanish or English) to:

Sección Visados
C/Ruiz de Alcorcón, 5
28071 Madrid
Fax: 91 394 86 67/69

Be sure to include your personal data, an address where you wish to receive the confirmation of your visa and an e-mail address if you wish to receive a copy of this confirmation beforehand.