European Economic Integration
|Number of credits: 6 European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System (ECTS)||Price: 840 €
Price for UAB students*:
*Max. 5 places
|Teaching Language: English||Place: UAB Campus Bellaterra (Cerdanyola del Vallès), Barcelona|
Teaching Period: 13 to 31 July
Professor: Ferran Brunet
PROFESSOR BIO INFORMATION
Ferran Brunet (1953) is Ph.D. in Economics (1985) and Associated Professor of Applied Economics. He teaches and researches on European Integration. He has researched on European Economy, Economic Policy, Public Finance, Urban Renewal, and Economic Dynamics. He has published 40 papers and 12 books, among them a reference textbook (Curso de Integración Europea, Madrid, Alianza, 2nd ed. 2010) as well as a classic on the Olympics (Economy of the Barcelona Olympic Games, Lausanne, International Olympic Committee, 1994). Currently he is working on the new European Economic Governance, Regulatory Quality, Competition Deficit, Imbalances, Competitiveness, Structural Reforms, and the European Model.
This Course attempts to learn about the European Union, its politics, economics and challenges. The objectives of the Course are:
- To understand the fundamentals of the European integration process.
- To comprehend the forms and dynamics of the institutional system of the European Union.
- To analyse competition, trade, monetary, agricultural, internal, regional and social European policies.
- To learn and debate on the characteristics, capabilities, limitations and challenges of the European Union.
- To understand the relationship between deepening policies and enlargements, and between competitiveness and solidarity in Europe.
|Week||Contents||Teaching / learning activities|
|1||1. A course Overview||-||-||-|
|2. Elements of European Integration||✔||✔||-|
|3. The Dynamics of the European Communities||✔||✔||-|
|4. The European Union System||✔||✔||-|
|5. The Economic Liberties & the European Policies||✔||✔||✔|
|2||6. The Common Competition Policy||✔||✔||-|
|7. The European Policies on Energy, Industry, Transport, Technology, Environment and Consumption||✔||✔||-|
|8. Trade Policy & Common Agricultural Policy||✔||✔||-|
|9. The Economic and Monetary Union||✔||✔||-|
|10. The Regional and Cohesion Policy||
|3||11. The European Social Policy & the European Welfare||✔||✔||-|
|12. The Euro Crisis||✔||✔||-|
|13. The European Economic Governance||✔||✔||-|
The final grade will be composed by: 10 % from one student presentation + 30 % from 14 one-page daily statements + 60 % from 3 brief week proofs.
Links and references
- Baldwin, Robert and Charles Wyplosz (2019), Economics of European Integration, 6th edition, McGraw Hill.
- Brunet, Ferran (2010), Curso de Integración Europea, 2nd edition, Alianza Editorial.
- European Parliament: Fact Sheets on the European Union: http://www.europarl.europa.eu/atyourservice/en/displayFtu.html
- European Union: Glossary of the Summaries: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/summary/glossary/glossary.html#A
- European Union: Topics of the European Union: https://europa.eu/european-union/topics_en
- Moussis, Nicholas (2019), Europedia: http://www.europedia.moussis.eu/home.tkl
- Books Badinger, Harald and Volker Nitsch (eds.) (2016), Routledge Handbook of the Economics of European Integration, Routledge.
- Borchardt, Klaus-Dieter (2019), The ABC of EU law, 8th ed., Publications Office of the European Union.
- Bréchon, Pierre and Frédéric Gonthier (dirs.) (2014), Les valeurs des Européens: évolutions et clivages, Armand Collin.
- Brunnermeier, Markus K., Harold James and Jean-Pierre Landau (2016), The Euro and the Battle of Ideas, Princeton UP.
- European Commission. Directorate General for Economic and Financial Affairs (2019), Convergence Report 2019, European Union Publications Office.
- European Parliament (2019), 100 Books on Europe to Remember, EP.
- Fontaine, Pascal (2019), 12 leçons sur l’Europe, 18th ed., Office des publications de l’Union européenne.
- Phelps, Edmund S. and Hans-Werner Sinn (eds.) (2011), Perspectives on the Performance of the Continental Economies, Massachusetts Institute of Technology.