Certification of researchers, experimenters and carersuidador

All personnel that participate in an experimental procedure with animals must be duly certified by the Catalan Government's Department of Territory and Sustainability as researchers or experimenters.

This certification must be applied for before participating in an animal experimentation procedure. Once certified, they only need to place this on record in subsequent experimental procedures.

The procedure must be made personally by the applicant in person at any OGE office or telematically. You can check all the information on the website of the Generalitat.

The following documents are to be submitted.

  1. Generalitat application form.
  2. Photocopy of DNI/NIE/Passport
  3. Photocopy of relevant academic qualifications.
  4. Photocopy of certificate showing they have passed an officially recognised course.
  5. Documents showing previous experience (CV, list of publications, etc.).

- Animal carers must be trained in the subject areas specified in the attached regulations, through an officially recognised course.

- Experimenters must have university training in the area of science, health sciences, or agricultural technology, and must have taken the officially recognised course referred to in the regulations. Alternatively, they can have the following vocational training:

  • livestock farming or
  • laboratory work in the field of chemistry, together with the officially recognised course referred to in the regulations or the module on handling of experimental animals within the vocational training course on livestock farming.
- Researchers must have a degree in Biology, Medicine, Veterinary Medicine, Pharmacy, Psychology, or any other subject that includes studies in Zoology or Animal Anatomy and Physiology, and postgraduate studies in the subject areas referred to in the regulations.

- Animal welfare advisers must have the same university-level training as the research staff, plus at least two years' experience as research staff and practical experience or specialist training in the subject areas referred to in the regulations.

  1. Animal carers: persons tasked with the practical aspects of the animals' breeding and welfare.
  2. Experimenters: persons who participate in procedures in which experimental animals are used.
  3. Research staff: persons with specific university qualifications tasked with designing and overseeing procedures with live animals, and analysing results and the methods applied to reduce animals' suffering.
  4. Animal welfare advisers: persons with specific university qualifications tasked with supervising the health and welfare of the animals and advising on animal welfare.