|Diversity in the Cultures of Physics Summer School Sheffield – Manchester – Barcelona 2019|
The summer school is a bilateral exchange program for young female physicists in the transition phase to Master or PhD studies.
Outputs from the project
- Lesson plan series: Reflections on gender and physics (PDF, 1.1MB)
- Diversity in the Cultures of Physics: A European summer school curriculum (PDF, 360KB)
- Gender related issues to consider when doing outreach (PDF, 515KB)
Application Deadline: April 7, 2019
Barcelona: July 15 – July 26, 2019
Manchester: July 29 - August 2, 2019
Sheffield: August 5 - August 9, 2019
A joint summer school "Diversity in the Cultures of Physics" will be held for young physicists at Universitat de Barcelona, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, University of Manchester and University of Sheffield. The aim is to facilitate the transition from master to PhD and to open up transnational perspectives for a career in physics.
The summer school is aimed at young physics students who:
· are in their last year of the degree, enrolled in a master's program or at the beginning of their PhD
· study at Universitat de Barcelona, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, University of Manchester and University of Sheffield
· are interested in the social framework of doing physics
· want to know more about how physics is shaped by gender and diversity
Female students are eligible to apply for an Erasmus scholarship to cover the costs (travel, accommodation, food) of the school.
Aims of the Summer School
· gain an insight into the variety of research fields of women physicists in Europe
· establish contacts for future collaborations and stays abroad.
· get to know the professional networks in physics
· learn about national and international equality oriented advancement programs for young female scientists
· become familiar with work place cultures of physics in actual cultural, political and everyday context
· learn about equality policies at European universities and research institutions
· learn about the role of gender and diversity in physics
· recognize and explore the diversity in the cultures of physics
Program of the Summer School
The participants will spend 4 weeks together in Barcelona (2 weeks), Manchester (1 week) and Sheffield (1 week).
In each country the courses offered will include the following events:
· Lectures and visits to physics research groups.
· Follow a local research group / perform a mini-research project with a local group.
· Contacts to equality-oriented institutions and activities at the universities and cooperating institutions as well as in the national associations and foundations.
· Lectures and discussions on gender & science studies.
To gain an impression of the structure of the Summer School see the programe of the Berlin-Uppsala summer school 2016.
The application for the school will open on February 1st until March 26th. Information on how to apply will be found on this page later.
The summer school is part of the Erasmus+ Strategic Partnership 'Diversity in the Cultures of Physics' between Freie Universität Berlin, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, Universitat de Barcelona, Uppsala Universitet, The University of Manchester, and the University of Sheffield.
|Anar a Notícies|