PhD in Politics, Policies and International Relations
Candidates who wish to access a PhD programme must apply to the academic committee for admissions using the online application form and follow the procedure established by the coordinators or administrative managers responsible for the PhD programme for the proposal of a tutor and thesis supervisor.You can find more information about the academic tutor and supervisor of the thesis in the section "Lines and supervision" in this file.
Before beginning your application make sure you satisfy the admission requirements, have all the necessary documents which you will need to scan and have seen the admissions calendar.
If you want to apply for a place on a PhD programme, please note the sections that you must fill in on the application form.
Summary fo the 5 steps to follow in your application
To acces the application form, you will need a university identificacion number (NIU) and a password. To obtain these:
- If you are not a UAB student, enter identification details to register.
- If you are already or have been a UAB student, you already have a NIU assigned and you can remember your password you can directly access the application form.
- If you are already or have been a UAB student, but you cannot remember your NIU and/or your password, re-enter your identification details to recover them.
- Select the PhD programme that interests you.
- Enter your personal and academic details in the appropriate parts of the application form.
Scan the necessary personal and academic documents and attach them to your application. Documentos should be in .pdf, .jpg or .doc format (maximum 4 MB).
At this link you can find the document that you nedd to include which gives the approval of your supervisor/tutor (filled in and signed), in case it is a program requirement.
- You can download the proof of receipt of your application. Decisions on applications will be sent by e-mail to the address indicated in the pre-registration application. You can consult the stage of the application process at the same link as the application form.
Consult some indications that may be useful for you to pre-register online:
What to do if you have taken a master's degree in Spain and you do not find it in the list of masters that are listed in the university where you studied it?
If you have a master's degree (official) in a Spanish university and when you indicate the university does not appear in the list of masters, you can indicate as follow:
- Choose the option "Master obtained outside Spain".
- In the country selection popup screen, enter "Spain" and search for the university (you can use * to facilitate the search, for example: * Rioja *).
- In the field of studies indicate the name of the studies you have taken (for example: "Master in Information Technology").
Remember that you will have to indicate if you have finished it or not and, once informed this field, click the 'Next' button to continue the online application.
What to do if you are a former UAB student and you do not have the institutional mail of the UAB and you can not make the application of preinscription online?
The UAB is working to solve this situation. While it is resolved, you must send an email to email@example.com or to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating that you are affected by this incident, including the name and surname, the DNI / Passport and the NIU / NIA. Once received this mail, the Doctoral School will resold the incident and will tell you to continue the application.
- If you apply for more than one doctorate at the UAB, the application will retrieve the information of the mandatory documentation that you indicated in the first application for doctoral access. If the second request asks for other documentation, you can indicate it in the optional documents.
- If you do not find your university registered in the system, you must select any other university in your country and in the field of observations of the same application indicate the name of the university where you got the degree.
YOU CAN NOW ACCESS THE PRE-REGISTRATION APPLICATION FORM
Once your application has been saved, you will enter the selection process. The result will be communicated by email within the dates set out in the admissions calendar.
DURING AUGUST, THE SYSTEM WILL BE CLOSED
This PhD programme has the following pre-admission periods:
- 23/01 - 24/03, first round of pre-admissions for all students (expected decision: 27/04/2017).
- 24/04 - 09/06, second round of pre-admissions for all students (expected decision: 10/07/2017).
Documentation necessary for admission
Applicants must be able to accredit before the coordinators or academic managers of the PhD programme that their previous studies are sufficient for access to a PhD programme in accordance with prevailing legislation and must provide this obligatory documents relatet to previous studies (degree and academic certificates) on registering (see the required documents in the 'Documents to be submitted for registration' point on the 'Enrolment' section in this website).
In the 'Admission' section you can also see all the possible paths for access to PhD programmes that are permitted under the current regulations.
The required documents may be presented in Catalan, Spanish or English. Any documents issued in French, Italian or Portuguese can be presented as translations carried out by the UAB Language Service. Applicants must organise their own translations and pay for them. For documents issued in any other language, they must be presented as translation into Catalan, Spanish or English by a sworn translator, working for any diplomatic or consular service of Spain abroad or the Spanish consular or diplomatic representation of the applicant’s national country.
To legalise the documentation accrediting studies carried out abroad, follow the procedure set out in the 'Legalisation' section on this website. Non-legalised documents may be presented for admission to the PhD programme even though legalisation will be required for the registration stage.
If, at the time of application, you still do not have the corresponding certificate or provisional certificate, because you have not yet completed your studies you must indicate this on the application form and admission proposal in the 'Academic details' section, by marking the option "Pending completion'.
Besides the aforementioned compulsory documents, the following are also requested.
- Completed application form, which can be found on this link (MS Word).
- Statement of interest (written in English, maximum 1 page).
- Curriculum Vitae, including average grades for bachelor's degrees and postgraduate studies.
- An outline of a doctoral research project to be carried out within the PhD programme in Political Science, Public Policies and International Relations at the UAB (maximum 5 pages, in English)
- Copies of certificates and official transcripts for all relevant university and post-university studies.
- Applicants who did not graduate with this department should also provide 2 reference letters.
- English language certificate (B2 or above).
All documents may be sent in PDF format to email@example.com. Please note that successful applicants will be asked to submit originals of the above documents, and possibly of other certificates, before formally registering at the School for Doctoral Studies.
The School for Doctoral Studies, on the indications of the PhD coordinator, may issue pre-registration letters for future PhD students before the end of the admission period for the purpose of applying for a grant or administrative procedures in their country.
On the International Welcome Point website you can see more information about future foreign students related to residencies in Catalonia, legal procedures and the UAB campus.
Monitoring your application
You can monitor your application using the same page as you made it. Below are the explanations of the different stages:
- Application made by student: your pre-registration has been saved.
- Incomplete application: there are documents missing from the application.
- Validated by the administrative office: the application and attached documents have been checked.
- Admitted: the coordinator has considered the pre-registration and proposed an offer or admission.
- Offer of admission: the Doctoral School has considered the proposals for admission made by the coordinator and has made a definitive offer. The PhD student will also receive an e-mail informing them of this decision. The PhD student must wait to register.
- Waiting list: the coordinator has considered the pre-registration and has agreed on admission but there ara no places on the PhD course.
- Application rejected: the coordinator or the Doctoral School have considered the application but do not agree to admission as not all the requirements have been fulfilled.
Need more information? Contact the programme manager filling in this form: *Required fields
Once the form has been sent in you will get a confirmation e-mail