Master's Degree in Interuniversity Master's Degree in Contemporary Migrations
IntroductionThe Inter-university Master's Degree in Contemporary Migrations, with its two specialisation options in Managing Diversity and Social Cohesion and in Rights and Integration, and the Inter-university Graduate Diploma in Immigration: Rights and Social Cohesion offer sound, theoretical and practical, multidisciplinary training to professionals wishing to work in migration and diversity management or conduct research in the field of international migrations.
New migratory processes and the current international crisis are causing deep political, social and economic transformations in both home and destination territories. It has become essential for professionals with migration and diversity responsibilities to undergo continuous training to keep up with new theoretical and methodological developments. The new challenges must be met through a genuine commitment to integration and social cohesion and the availability of effective tools to carry out our interventions.
The Master's degree has two specialisations, each with its own modules, and a core that deals with the main sociological, politological, ethnographic and legal concepts in contemporary migration management. The optional modules allow the master's degree students to obtain the specialisation in Managing Diversity and Social Cohesion or in Rights and Integration.
The course includes a work placement and, in the Master's degree, a module on research methodology, which offers the necessary methodological grounding to prepare the master's dissertation.
There are four cross-curricular axes:
- Understanding migratory projects, strategies and expectations of immigrants with regard to national origin and gender and generational relations, from a trans-national perspective.
- Study of the legal, economic, political and social context that determines the dynamics by which immigrants are incorporated into the social structure of the society of destination.
- Diagnosisof specific problems that generate processes of social inequality and formulation of social intervention strategies.
- Design and evaluation of programmes, social actions and public policies from the perspective of social cohesion and respect for diversity.
The third-cycle programmes coordinated by the Centre for Migration Studies of the Universitat AutÚnoma de Barcelona and the Public Law Institute of the University of Barcelona have the aim of providing these tools. Respond to professionals' need to update and deepen their knowledge of theory and methodology, using an interdisciplinary approach to reflect on social intervention.
The teaching staff includes both researchers and other professionals who work in the fields of law, diversity management and social inclusion.
Objectives- Study contemporary migrations in the age of globalisation and understand the different theoretical approaches to migration as a social process from a multidisciplinary angle.
- Understand different models of multicultural society, both in terms of migration and integration policies and the management of diversity.
- Offer a general approach to the phenomenon of immigration, integration and diversity in the European Union and the member states with a special emphasis on Spain.
- Offer students the necessary knowledge about the different institutions in the host society (context of reception).
- Offer students an approach to the most important characteristics of the different immigrant groups which are most represented in Catalan society, taking into account gender and age or generation and transnational perspective.
- Understand the bases and principles of public policies involving integration of the immigrant population from the dimension of equality, redistribution and management of diversity. To do so sector policies (employment, education, health, housing) will be studied as integrated policies in the local area with a special emphasis on the challenges of local public management.
- Understand the contextual factors that determine the economic position and employment mobility of the immigrant population.
- Analyse the consequences which the part of the labour market occupied by immigrants have on their access to resources, position in the social structure and the definitions of strategies, migration projects, setting up of networks and types of interaction both within the destination society and on a transnational level.
- Understand the relationships between immigration, education and social integration from a study of the different educational models.
- Know about the debates and agreements concerning the representation of immigration in the local and international media.
- In the legal ambit professionalise a double dimension which includes the assessment and orientation of specific case studies as well as decision-making and position in organisations and government working on immigration.
- Offer students the knowledge, skills and competences needed for individual assessment on topics of foreign residence and include the legal dimension of immigration in their professional activity.
- Offer students basic knowledge for the assessment and solution of possible conflicts of shared living in a multicultural context, as well as arguments and tools offered by legal planning and processes for fighting against racist and xenophobic discourse.
- Allow students access to good practices in the management of diversity in the public sector and in raising public awareness.
- Acquire multidisciplinary knowledge about the main research methodologies in the field of migrations as an object of study.
- Develop the capacity to propose relevant research questions (theoretical or empirical).
- Possess the skills to continue the course in a self-managed and autonomous fashion.
- Develop the capacity to apply the theoretical and methodological knowledge acquired to real professional activity as well as other basic and applied social research contexts.
- The initial requirement is a Bachelor's degree, or pre-EHEA university diploma, preferably in social sciences, law or humanities.
- Professional experience in the field of migration will be taken into account.
- Decisions on admission will be taken by a panel of three lecturers on the master's degree who correspond to the applicants' profiles.
- Migration researchers
- Immigration specialists working with Town Councils, Provincial Councils and Autonomous Regions.
- Intercultural mediators.
- Consultancy services for public and private institutions and administration.
- Support for politicians, trade unionists, teachers, healthcare workers, communicators and other social agents working on social and cultural integration programmes in the field of migration and planning.
- Members of NGOs and third-sector bodies specialising in immigrant integration.
- Social workers dealing with immigrants.
- Lawyers specialising in immigration.
UAB-specific Master's Degree
Orientation: Research, Professional
Location: Campus UAB, Bellaterra (Barcelona) i Universitat de Barcelona
Dates: from 02/10/2017 to 28/09/2018
Spanish (80%), Catalan (20%)
Universitat AutÚnoma de Barcelona
Universitat de Barcelona
Departamento de SociologŪa
Centre díEstudis i Recerca en Migracions
Departamento de Pedagogia Sistematica y Social
Departamento de AntropologŪa Social y Cultural
Contact the programme manager *Required fields
You will receive a copy of your query by e-mail immediately and we will also include a PDF with all the information about the programme.