Master's Degree in Digital Humanities
IntroductionThe Digital Humanities relate the skills pertaining to the new technologies of information and communication with classical humanistic disciplines (History, Philosophy, Philology, Linguistics, the History of Art, Archaeology, Music, Anthropology and Cultural Studies...). This connection is increasingly important through the unceasing growth of these technologies and the expansion of Internet, all of which means that the exercise of these professions demand a solid control of these tools.
This new discipline, inter-disciplinary by its very essence, came into being in the c20 and has recently been consolidated and baptized through general consensus with the term "Digital Humanities". It is now spreading to all the universities around the world. Our
Masterís Degree in Digital Humanities is one of the pioneers in implanting this discipline in Spain.
The UAB Masterís Degree in Digital Humanities:
1. Provides both an overview and reflection on the consequences, both of its creation and of its research and diffusion, of the arrival of the digital era in the study of the humanities and Culture in general.
2. Provides graduates in the Arts and Humanities with computer skills and abilities pertaining to digital society and culture, so that such graduates can be more competitive professionally and within business, within the economy and within the rapidly developing sector of digital culture.
3. Provides refresher input for for consolidated cultural managers, lecturers and researchers in the knowledge of those digital tools essential for the current development of their specific activities.
4. Provides a complementary strand to the training of computer engineers with a knowledge of the Humanities and of the languages, applications and specific needs and possible developments of an employment market experiencing strong demand, namely, the digital culture sector or humanistic research.
The development of an industrial and business sector in digital culture has generated new professional profiles that may become natural professional outlets for graduates in the Arts and humanities in such a way that they can contribute both a humanistic perspective and digital skills and abilities.
The arrival of Digital Humanities has given rise to new and highly necessary professional directions: humanists with computer skills but also engineers who retrain to work with humanistic skills. Europeans calls for research programmes such as Horizon 2020 and Marie Curie, as well as those of private institutions such as Recercaixa or the BBVA Foundation all now clearly opt for the Digital Humanities.
ObjectivesThe Master's degree in Digital Humanities aims to train students in the analysis, management and transfer of cultural and humanistic content in digital format, offering sufficient knowledge to apply the competences acquired in professional tasks or research associated to the different fields of study.
This Master's degree offers advanced computer content to complement the studies undertaken by student in the faculty of Arts and Humanities and humanistic content for engineering graduates; this training, apart from its academic value, also offers greater professional capacity for both groups of students.
The Master's degree also offers computer and methodological knowledge essential for students who want to undertake research in areas related to the Digital Humanities, cultural industries of different human sciences where this knowledge is necessary.
- Bachelor's degree or pre-EHEA diploma.
- For classroom and practical work a laptop acquired in the last five years is needed.
The Masterís degree in Digital Humanities offers broad scope for professional training and research. Its intersection with the original studies offers knowledge that can lead to entry to professions involving digital collections and archives as resources, whether for education, research, business, management and documentation of material and non-material cultural heritage, digital editing and publishing, media and leisure consultancy, social and cultural policy design in digital cities and online marketing and market research studies. More generally, professions requiring interdisciplinary management or computer knowledge.
This Masterís degree can also play an important role in professional retraining: established researcher with a need for IT knowledge, journalists and communicators, marketing managers, librarians and documentalists, social researchers and public or private sector managers.
Cristina Buenafuentes de la Mata
UAB-specific Master's Degree
Location: Universitat AutÚnoma de Barcelona
Dates: from 03/10/2016 to 30/06/2017
Departamento de FilologŪa EspaŮola
Contact the programme manager *Required fields
You will receive a copy of your query by e-mail immediately and we will also include a PDF with all the information about the programme.