Master's Degree in
Intensive practice and direct contact with instructors are key to acquiring the skill and precision that this technique requires. We have designed this course around this principle and are confident that those prepared to rise to the challenge will benefit greatly from working in a real team and pass on these benefits to their patients.
Dr Joan Ramon Garcés. Academic Director
Mohs micrographic surgery (MMS) is currently the primary and recurrent skin-tumour extirpation technique with the highest healing rate compared to any other type of treatment, whether surgical or destructive.
It ensures minimal destruction of uncompromised tissue and reduces the chances of recurrence, and patient demand for it is on the rise. There is, however, a real lack of centres and practitioners that are able to implement genuine Mohs surgery.
This Master's degree in MMS aims to reduce this deficit by offering Dermatology specialists and final-year residents the only Spanish-language theoretical and practical programme available on this technique. The programme is in partial-distance format, and is systematic and eminently interactive in its approach: equipping its students with the necessary surgical skills and enabling them to integrate the technique efficiently into their own work once they complete their studies.
The programme is made up of two possible components: Diplomatura Graduate Diploma (online theory modules), and Master's Degree (online theory modules plus master's degree dissertation), for a total of 30 and 60 ECTS credits, respectively, from the UAB.
Students who complete the whole programme can obtain the Master's Degree in Mohs Micrographic Surgery, which qualifies them as an Expert in Mohs Micrographic Surgery.
Students who only complete the theory component can obtain the Graduate Diploma in Mohs Micrographic Surgery, showing that they have the grounding in theory needed to go on to the practical stage of the master's degree in the future.
The main features of this master's degree are as follows:
- Teaching staff made up of top MMS specialists.
- Partial-distance teaching format, combining the versatility of online teaching with the necessary onsite practical component, and with recorded online classes that students can access at any time during the course.
- Onsite component taken in groups of eight students, maximum.
- Maximum proximity to instructors and emphasis on practical and interactive elements, with ex-vivo practicals using pork cheeks, attendance at operations on patients, participation in discussions of clinical cases, access to videos of real operations and MMS photography workshop.
- Emphasis on the "craftsmanship" element that marks MMS out: the graphics, the sections, and histological interpretation.
- Modules to refresh students' knowledge in the disciplines involved: biology, pathological anatomy and medical and surgical dermatology.
Medical doctor specialising in Dermatology or final-year Dermatology residents.
- Expert in Mohs micrographic surgery
- Dermatologic surgery (Surgical dermatology)
- Cutaneous oncology
Ana Mª Rodríguez Elorza i Mª Rosa Virgos
Phone: 93 290 62 68
UAB-specific Master's Degree
Orientation: Research, Professional
Dates: from 30/01/2018 to 14/02/2020
Escola de Postgrau
Contact the programme manager *Required fields
You will receive a copy of your query by e-mail immediately and we will also include a PDF with all the information about the programme.