Graduate Diploma in Congenital Heart Diseases
IntroductionIn recent years, considerable advances in the diagnosis and treatment of congenital heart diseases have been made, thanks to improvements in imaging technologies, surgical techniques, anaesthesia, support for cardiology intensive care units, and even prenatal diagnosis and treatment.
This has led to a need for ever-more specialised training, as seen in the growing demand for postgraduate programmes.
This graduate diploma in congenital heart diseases has been created for this reason. It is subdivided into five tracks in response to the specific needs that have been detected.
Anaesthesia, intensive care, cardiac catheterisation for diagnosis and treatment, and foetal and neonatal cardiology form the backbone of progress in cardiology of congenital heart diseases, so they are also the main branches of this graduate diploma programme.
ObjectivesAcquisition of a common baggage of knowledge which will allow the establishment of the content of different tracks.
Anaesthesiology and Resuscitation
- Learning about congenital heart diseases, physiopathology. Indication of medical, surgical or interventionist treatments and the requirements and repercussions that these may have.
- Offer the bases of specific knowledge in anaesthesiology for congenital heart diseases both in theory and practice and offer the tools and support for subsequent professional development.
Diagnostic and Interventionist Catheterism
- Acquire the necessary knowledge for understanding the bases of information that register data for pressure curves, oximetries, etc obtained in different parts of the cardiovascular anatomy enable the calculation of fluxes, resistances and short circuits.
- Understand angiocardiographic images.
- Understand the surgical techniques and indications for congenital heart diseases.
- Be able to handle extracorporeal circulation in congenital heart diseases.
Intensive Cardiological Care
- Gain a deeper understanding of congenital heart diseases, their physiopathologies and different options for therapy.
- Gain a deeper understanding of physiopathology in critical heart patients of paediatric and neonatal age.
- Acquire the necessary knowledge and skills to recognise with certainty the variations in normality of the normal circulatory system in the foetus and be able to carry out the correct diagnosis of the most frequent congenital heart diseases as well as their different anatomical details which will condition the long term prognosis.
- Acquire knowledge to carry out a heart assessment in different pathologies of pregnancy (intrauterine growth retardation, foeto-foetal transfusion, maternal diabetes, rheumatic illness).
Heart Failure and Transplant- Gain a deeper understanding of congenital heart diseases, their physiopathologies and different options for therapy.
- Gain a deeper understanding of handling the double and heart failure.
- Acquire the necessary knowledge and skills to recognise with certainty the different cases of heart failure and be able to carry out the correct diagnosis of congenital heart diseases with cardiogenic shock.
- Acquire new technologies in the area of heart failure and new materials.
- Gain a deeper understanding of the indications for heart and heart and lung transplants.
- Handle the donor patient and the usual post operatory complications in transplants. Identify the usual complications in the monitoring of a long term transplant, control of infection and rejection.
- Bachelor's Degree in Medicine, valid in the country of issue.
- Experience in cardiology of congenital heart diseases
- Letter of recommendation from a cardiology of congenital heart disease service (clinical, surgical, anaesthesiological or intensive-care)
- Document stating the types of employment the applicant is qualified to obtain in his/her home country
- Applicants for the graduate diploma in anaesthesiology and resuscitation must provide the corresponding degree in anaesthesiology and resuscitation, or an equivalent qualification, recognised in their home country.
- Level 3 hospitals with a congenital heart disease cardiac surgery unit
- Level 3 hospitals without a specific congenital heart disease unit, but with well-established cardiology and paediatrics services.
- Paediatric cardiology services and units.
Dimpna Calila Albert Brotons
UAB Graduate Diploma
Location: Hospital Vall d'Hebron. Pg. Vall d'Hebron 119-129, Barcelona. Unitat de Cardiologia Pediatria (UCP) i Unitat de Cardiopaties Congènites de l'Adolescent i l'Adult (UCCAA) d'ACOR
Dates: from 12/03/2018 to 14/09/2018
Catalan (40%), Spanish (40%), English (20%)
Departamento de Pediatría, Obstetricia, Ginecología y Medicina Preventiva
CICB-Hospital Quiron Dexeus
Contact the programme manager *Required fields
You will receive a copy of your query by e-mail immediately and we will also include a PDF with all the information about the programme.