Official Master's Degree in General Health Psychology
The master's degree in General Health Psychology responds to the legal training requirements regulating psychology in the health care sector in Spain (Ley 33/2011, de 4 de octubre, General de Salud Pública. Disposición adicional séptima. Regulación de la psicología en el ámbito sanitario). According to this provision, in order to professionally work as a General Health Psychologist, it is compulsory that the person complete the master's degree in General Health Psychology (Máster Universitario en Psicología General Sanitária - MUPGS), with a minimum of 180 ECTS credits in specific health care related contents offered either in the master's degree or in the undergraduate degree in Psychology.
This master's degree is necessary for all those who wish to work as certified General Health Psychologists (Additional provision number seven to Law 33/2011, of 4 October, Public Health General). According to this provision, a degree in psychology is enough to work as a psychologist, except in the case of psychologists wishing to work in the health sector. According to the European model EuroPsy - and applied to Spain - training at bachelor's degree and master's degree level provides a psychologist with an exclusively generalist preparation in the health sector.
This master's degree aims to cover the current social demand in clinical and health psychology personnel, established by the Spanish Ministry for Health and Ministry for Education as the figure of the General Health Psychologist. The theoretical and practical contents of the master's degree in General Health Psychology offered by the UAB Faculty of Psychology aims to provide students with the knowledge needed to acquire the skills and abilities used in psychological research, assessment and interventions related to those aspects helping individuals improve their general state of health in cases in which such activities do not require the attention of other specialists of the clinical psychology profession. That is why the overall approach of the master's degree, as well as the Master Thesis and work placement module, is professionally oriented, with general and advanced training in the skills and abilities needed to work in the field of health psychology. Therefore, once you have completed the master's degree you will be legally qualified, especially in the private sector, to work as a psychologist in the health sector.
Master's Introduction 2017/18 Academic year (in Catalan).
The master's degree diploma is the only certificate which professionally accredits graduates as General Health Psychologists and, therefore, those who complete the master's degree are the only ones who can work professionally within the health sector in activities that do not require the attention of specialists in other health professions and/or clinical psychology. In complex or severe cases in which the abilities of the General Health Psychologist are not sufficient and an adequate response cannot be given, a specialist will need to take over the case. In accordance with the legal and general action framework, it is considered that the training of a future General Health Psychologist must be oriented towards consolidated and priority action sectors with specific assistance networks (mental health, intellectually impaired, chronic sickness and ageing, prevention and promotion of health, addictions, etc.), as well as towards the emerging sectors in which relevant contributions can be made, and in which new professional action spaces can be consolidated. Therefore, the main professional options for general health psychologists include:
- Private general health psychologist
- Mental health institutes of the private sector
- Mental health rehabilitation services for adults (day centres)
- Special education centres for children and adolescents
- Centres specialising in eating disorders
- Centres and workshops for people with disabilities and special needs
- Social and health centres and elderly care homes
- Drug addiction rehabilitation centres
- Disease associations
- Health Promotion and Prevention Services
- Private fertility clinics: diagnosis and treatment services for couples with difficulties conceiving
- Maternity and birthing preparation centres and units (obstetrical prophylaxis)
- Social welfare centres for children and adolescents in risk of social exclusion
- Educational action residential centres (Centres Residencials d'Acció Educativa)
- Psychological health services for education centres
- Psychological first aid centres (Primers Auxilis Psicològics)
- Management and health planning services
- Occupational health surveillance services
- Intervention units in times of crises, emergencies and catastrophes
- Housing centres and services for victims of abuse
- Public and private health institutions working on the establishment of health promotion and prevention programmes
- Services for technical assessment (family courtrooms) and forensic psychology report.
- Elite sports centres
- Research: universities and research centres/institutes
- training, teaching and supervising future professionals
- direction, administration and/or management tasks: collaboration in tasks within the health system.
Foreign and exchange students
Credits: 90 ECTS credits
Beginning of the pre-enrolment period 20/02/2017
See the calendar
€66 per credit (non-EU citizens who do not hold a Spanish residence permit). 2017/18 Academic year.
Contact us for more information, filling in this form: *Required fields
Once the form has been sent in you will get a confirmation e-mail