Official Master's Degree in Geoinformation
IntroductionThe University Master's Degree in Geoinformatics is a joint programme by the Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB) and the Institut Cartogràfic i Geològic de Catalunya (ICGC), which have joined knowledge, expertise and resources to offer a new, extensive and updated official higher training programme in the field of geoinformatics which fits the current state of geospatial technologies.
The objective of the University Master's Degree in Geoinformatics is to train professionals specialised in the field of geospatial information technologies, with two differentiated profiles sharing a common foundation of knowledge and technical expertise. One profile correcponds to professionals specialised in the conception and implementation of geographic information systems (GIS) and in the development and programming of GIS applications (for desktop, web and mobile), which allow providing geoinformatic tools and services to final users. The other profile corresponds to professionals specialised in the conception and management of projects for the production and application of geospatial information for smart cities.
The University Master's Degree in Geoinformatics offers two specialisations:
- Development of geoapplications, aimed at the design and programming of final applications for geopraphic information systems.
- Management of geoinformatics, aimed at the design of products and services for geospatial information and the management of geospatial information production and application projects for smart cities.
- Graduates of any discipline related to geography or information technologies interested in acquiring skills needed to become a technical analyst or consultant in geographic information systems or be responsible of the management of geoinformatic products and services.
- Professionals from any discipline related to geography or information technologies interested in improving or redirecting their professional skills to include new career options.
The University Master's Degree in Geoinformatics is jointly organised by the UAB Department of Geography and the Institut Cartogràfic i Geològic de Catalunya. It has also counted on the collaboration of the UAB Departments of Computer Science, Information and Communications Engineering, Computer Architecture and Operating Systems, and Telecommunications and Systems Engineering, the UAB Laboratory of Geographic Information and Remote Sensing (LIGIT, for its initials in Catalan) and several public administrations and private firms of the sector.
The University Master's Degree in Geoinformatics is based on the previous experience gathered in the Master's Degree in Geographic Information Technologies, a UAB-specific master's degree programme which lasted from the 1996/97 to the 2015/16 academic year. Over 250 graduate students participated in its 19 editions.
Career optionsThe University Master's Degree in Geoinformatics integrates the several disciplines, methodologies and techniques used to acquire, programme and manage geospatial data and applications. These data are key to the scientific, administrative, legal and technical operations involved in the production, management and development process of spatial information and its application to a variety of uses, from corporative to personal.
The University Master's Degree in Geoinformatics responds to the current demand of the professional market with a training programme oriented towards providing the competence and skills needed to work in the following types of positions:
- Common to both specialisations
- GIS technician.
- GIS analyst.
- GIS consultant.
- Specialisation in Development of Geoapplications
- Geospatial applications analyst.
- Geospatial applications developer.
- Smartphone applications developer.
- Specialisation in Geoinformatics Management.
- Head of corporative GIS for public administrations and businesses.
- Director or entrepreneur in charge of geospatial information prodcuts and services.
- Director of scientific, public or commercial projects aimed at creating geospatial information services and applications.
Upon completion of the master's degree, graduates will have the skills and expertise needed to work in a wide range of areas and sectors, including:
- Government agencies and public administration in general.
- Academic and research institutions and centres.
- GIS and geoinformatics service suppliers.
- Businesses using GIS and geoinformatics services.
- Navigation systems businesses..
- Geomarketing, insurances and financial services.
- Engineering and urban planning offices.
- Consultancies and service suppliers.
Foreign and exchange students
Credits: 60 ECTS
Beginning of the pre-enrolment period 12/01/2018
See the calendar
€75 per credit (non-EU citizens who do not hold a Spanish residence permit). 2017/18 Academic year.
Contact us for more information, filling in this form: *Required fields
Once the form has been sent in you will get a confirmation e-mail
Master's degree website http://geoinfo.uab.es/master