Bachelor's Degree in English and Catalan Studies
The Bachelor's Degree in English and Catalan Studies offers a solid training in the Catalan and English language, literature and culture. Graduates will acquire expert knowledge in Catalan and English, today's de facto international language. This facilitates entering the workforce in any profession related to languages and multilingualism in any country of the European Union, such as the teaching of English and/or Catalan and cultural mediation, as well as in highly qualified business, tourist and other cultural professions, etc.
This degree offers students the possibility to take a minor in Linguistics, Comparative Literature or a third language (German, Italian, Galician or Basque).
The enlargement of the European Union and globalisation represents an exponential increase in multilingual communication and, therefore, there is the need to define new communication strategies which facilitate to the maximum the efforts made in language learning and training. The technological processes also require new multilingual tools with which to manage the flow of both written and audiovisual documents. There is thus an ever growing need for language-related professionals in a variety of sectors. Professionals such as these cannot limit themselves to mastering only one foreign language given that socially there is a need for all professional tasks related to languages to be carried out by polyglots.
The UAB is the only university in Spain to offer combined language study degrees which provide students with advanced skills in two languages and their literature. Therefore, this combined degree represents a step forward in the field of language studies and at the same time the commitment to bring our degrees closer to academic programmes available in universities abroad.
The ideal student for this degree should have the following qualities:
- Good written and oral expression
- Capacity for synthesis and comprehension
- Instrumental fluency in the languages of the degree
- Capacity for interpretation and reasoning
- Interest in language, literature and culture in general
- Capacity to relate linguistic, literary and cultural phenomena
Career options- Teaching and the production of didactic materials in both public and private institutions.
- Translation and interpreting; multilingual institutional communication in companies, publishing houses, libraries and language departments.
- Language technology applications.
- Tourism, public relations and international relations.
- Cultural counselling and management of documentation tasks for publishers, in collaboration with journals and cultural supplements, the coordination and planning of cultural activities for companies, foundations and public institutions.
- Academic research.
Once you have completed your studies, you will have solid training in the Catalan and English languages, literatures and cultures. The degree thus will provide students with expert knowledge in Catalan and in today's most important international language, which will facilitate entering the labour market in any of the sectors related to language or multilingualism in any of the European Union member state, such as language, cultural mediation or management, etc.
EvaluationECTS methodology implies continuous assessment of all students' work.
Mornings and afternoons
Number of credits: 240 ECTS
Duration: 4 years
Period of study: The degree is organised into semesters
Part-time or full-time: Full-time, with the option of a slow track
Contact us for more information filling in this form: *Required fields
Once the form has been sent in you will get a confirmation e-mail